Monday 29 March 2010

The Disappearing Emails

Knock! Knock!

A lady walks in to our office, for some reason knocking after she has entered and holds up her laptop for all to see.

"Can anyone help me?" She asks.

"I am sure we can." I reply (Just don't ask us to perform a medical procedure.) "What's the problem?" (You'd think I'd have learned NOT to ask this question by now, wouldn't you.)

"All my emails have disappeared." She tells me.

Somewhat sceptical I get her to boot up her laptop. After three attempts and a password reset I finally get her logged in.

I load Outlook and lo and behold the lady's emails appear just as they should. Simples (NOT!)

"Oh, they are there" She tells me. "But not Outlook Web Access."

By now I am very confused and with little hope of recovering my sanity, I load Internet Explorer.

"There you see? They are not there anymore." She says, pointing at the screen.

"They wont be there. Thats Google!" I explain.

The lady hesitates, then... "No I mean they are gone from my favourites." She says.

A light bulb switches on above my head and I ask "Do you mean you have lost the link to Webmail?"

"Yes."

The light bulb flickers in frustration, threatening to spark.

"That is an entirely different problem" I say. "But easily solved."

I type in the Outlook Web Access address and add it back in to her favourites. Just to be sure I plonk a shortcut on her desktop too.

The lady then logs in to OWA and surprise, surprise...

"There they are..." She cries in delight. "Many Thanks."

The lady leaves and the light bulb finally gives out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts