Thursday 4 March 2010

Switch it ON!

A colleague of mine told me about an incident the other day, where a guy in his department couldn't switch a PC on. The computer was connected up correctly and plugged in. Infact it was in the same state that it was in everyday at that time. Everyday that guy came in, switched it on in the same way and all was well.

This particular day he just couldn't get it to power on. My colleague took a quick glance at the plug socket and informed the man that it wasn't switched on at the plug.

Ten minutes later my colleague came back in to the room and the man was still staring confused at the dead computer.

"What's wrong?" My colleague asked.

"The computer won't switch on." He replied.

"Like I told you before" my colleague said. "You need to switch it on at the plug."

My colleague turned away to do something, when he turned back the man had disappeared. All he could hear was a scuffling under the desk.

"What are you doing?" My colleague shouted to the man.

"I am checking the cables are plugged in" a muffled voice called back. "The computer won't switch on."

My colleague was extremely confused himself by now and somewhat impatient.

The man reappeared even more puzzled and my colleague once again said "look I keep telling you. All you need to do is switch it on at the plug socket, like you do every morning. Simple!"

The man stood there rolling his eyes. Then he asked "how?"

Exasperated my colleague explained that flicking the switch turned the socket on. Whereas the man flicked the switch on an empty socket, turning it off. Of course the computer still had no power.

"You have just turned off an empty socket. Try turning ON the one next to it, the one with the plug in it." my colleague said, getting very annoyed.

"I'm confused, how do you mean?" the man replied.

Finally my colleague lost his temper and dropped what he was doing. He marched over to the socket, flicked the switch on and the computer came to life.

The man stood in silence, staring in amazement, none the wiser to how the problem was fixed.

Users... They want everything done for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts