Wednesday 11 August 2010

What is RAM?

"I am applying for a new job." A guy from another department announced to me one day. "It's for a 'Technical Computer Job' and I was wondering if you would help me with a couple of the questions on the application form?"

"Ok, I'll help you if I can." I agree somewhat taken aback by the new 'Job Title.'

"This is the main question I am having a problem answering." He says pointing to a large box on the application.

"Describe any technical IT experience that you have had?" I read out loud.

"Yes" he says. "What shall I put?"

"Well, what technical experience have you got?" I ask him.

He thinks hard, screwing his eyes up and begging mentally that a solution will pop to the front of his mind. I know by this time that this is NOT a job he is going to get. However...

"I fixed a problem on my wife's computer the other day." He told me.

"What was the problem and how did you fix it?" I asked him.

"Oh, it wasn't plugged in. Took me half an hour to find that out." He chuckles.

"OK" I said still a little unsure. "Anything else?"

"I have set up several computers" he says. "And I have done a couple of repairs and upgrades."

"That's good, just describe what you have done." I say, thinking that maybe it's not as bad as I thought. Of course I am wrong... Very, very wrong.

"Well I have installed RAM before." H says proudly, his face falls "Why would I have done that?"

I then had to explain to him exactly what RAM was, what RAM stood for, what it did and why he would have upgraded it. By the end he was so confused he just shook his head.

"So... What shall I put?" He asked.
Errrrmmm... Don't give up your day job... because you wont get this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts