Friday 3 September 2010

Helpdesk Hell

We have a hardware vendor that we have to phone on a regular basis for replacement parts. Most of the time when we phone it takes a while, but the person on the other end usually accepts we know what we are talking about and arranges for the part to be delivered.

I say most of the time...

One day I have a laptop that had ceased to function. It was a common problem, one fixed by replacing the motherboard that luckily is under warranty.

I phoned the hardware vendor support line as usual, hoping to get the part for the next day.

A man answers the phone and I explain the problem, the tests I have performed and the solution. I even mention the fact that this was not the first time we had had the problem with that particular model. The guy obviously did not know one part of a computer from another, the result was a 2 1/2 hour phone call that made me want to scream loudly. It went something like this:

"Hello, Technical support, how can I help you today?" (After being on hold for 10 minutes.)

"Hi there, I have a laptop with a faulty motherboard."

"Ok, can I have the serial number?"

I read out the serial number that I had ready for him, so far so good, then the call took a downward turn.

"What seems to be the problem?"

"The laptop doesn't power on with battery or powerpack. I have tried several batteries and several known working power supplies. The motherboard has died, it's about the third one this month on this model."

"Have you run a diagnostic?"

"No, I can't, the laptop will NOT power on."

"Ok, have you tried another powerpack?" (What did I just say?)

"Yes" I told him. "At least three."

"Have you tried it with battery only?" (Is this guy deaf or is there something wrong with the phone?)

"Yes and with three different batteries."

"Where did you get them from?"

"They are spares" I tell him.

"From other laptops? Can I have the serial numbers?"

"What? Why? Thats irrelevant, besides they are not from 'other laptops,' they are spares."

"I see. Can you try another?"

"I have tried three of each, all brand new, do you really think a fourth is going to make any difference?"

Silence...

"Right. Can we start then by removing components. Can we start with the CD Drive."

I had already tried all of this, trying to get the laptop to power on "bare bones."

Reluctantly I do as he asked with the same results.

"Hmmm, can you remove the hard drive, you will need a screwdriver. There are two screws on the bottom..." (I know, I have only done this a thousand times.)

I remove the hard drive. Then the keyboard, then the RAM, the mousepad, then the wireless card and finally the LCD screen. By this time the laptop is now just a pile of parts on my workbench and still doesn't work. Then came the best bit.

"On the side you will see the wireless switch, can you make sure that it is off."

"There is no switch on the side for the wireless."

"Yes there is, on the left hand side near the SVideo port."

"There is no SVideo port on the side, it's on the back."

Silence...

"No, no it's there, you're not looking in the right place. It's on the left hand side, near the SVideo port."

"IT'S NOT THERE! The SVideo port is ON THE BACK."

"No it isn't, I have the maintinence diagram open in front of me."

"Really? Well I have the laptop in front of me. In several parts I may add. Your diagram is either wrong or you are looking at the wrong one."

"I don't think so." (Is this guy for real?)

"What model are you looking at?"

He reads out the model number and I nod silently before replying "yeah, thats the wrong model."

"I don't think... Oh. Umm can you try it with just the battery now?" The guys asks me.

"It's not working still." I tell him about ready to reach down the phoneline and punch him in the head.

"Hmm...."

I wait...

"I think you may have a faulty motherboard there" (hallelujah! This guy is one bright spark.)

"Really? I told you that an hour and forty five minutes ago. When can you get me the board?"

"Well it could take a while, it's not in stock."

"You sure it's the right board for this model?"

More silence...

"It'll be delivered in the morning..." and the phone went dead.

To make things worse the guy did not take my name, address or contact number. So I had to phone them back.

"Hello, Technical support, How can I help you today?" (After being in a queue again.)

"Hi there, I have a laptop with a faulty motherboard."

"Right. Can we start then by removing components. Can we start with the CD Drive..."
"ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts