Wednesday 27 January 2010

Internet Problems (An ID10T Error!)

One day I get a phone call from a rather flustered lady from our upper management.

"Hello, I am having problems getting on to the internet with my laptop." She tells me.

"How far are you getting? Are you getting an error?" I ask.

"Its says 'Page cannot be displayed." She reads. So far so good.

"Sounds like you are not connected to the network. Where abouts are you?" I ask.

"I am at home." She says alarm bells starting to ring.

"I see so you are trying to connect your laptop to your home internet."

"Oh no. I haven't got the internet. I want to connect to the work one." She tells me quite sincerely. My radar is now in idiot detection mode and the noise is deafening.

"I am afraid that is impossible. You can only connect to the companies internet connection when you are here."

"That's not true. I was told I can check my work email on the internet from home." She insists.

"Yes. You can" I explain. "But you need an internet connection to do that."

"I know that." She says "thats why I want to connect to the works internet. I am not stupid." (Could have fooled me.)

15 minutes later I think I have finally gotten through to her. Somewhat disgruntled she lets me hang up.

20 seconds later, my boss' phone rings...

pause

"I am afraid that is impossible. You can only connect to the companies internet connection when you are here..."

There's just no explaining things to some people. They always know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts