Tuesday 29 December 2009

Upside down

"My email isn't working; please can you take a look." I am asked as I walk down the corridor. So I take a detour in to one of the Managers’ offices and stare in disbelief.

The computer was seated on the desk but the monitor on top of it (an old style CRT) was upside down with the swivel base pointing up at the ceiling. The screen surrounded by post-its and bits of paper with messages and phone numbers on.

"It just doesn’t seem to send anything" the Manager complains.

"Urrm, why is your screen upside down on top of your computer?" I asked (quite reasonably I thought) ignoring the email fault temporarily.

"It's not. Just the monitor is." He says "the screen moved upside down about three months ago, so I turned the monitor over. Must be a fault with the video card."

"No, it's just a graphics card setting that needs changing back." I tell him. Five mouse clicks later and the screen has rotated back 180 degrees.

"Oh, but now the screen is upside down again" the Manager says unhappily.

"That's easily solved" I say turning the monitor back over on to its base and fixing his email problem.

"Oh, but now all my post-its are the wrong way up..."

There's no pleasing some people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts