Monday 21 December 2009

Printer Install Problem

"I have just installed the software drivers for my new printer" says a woman proudly to me on the phone one day. " It finished the install successfully and asked me to reboot. But now it has an error every time I boot up."

"OK" I say "What is the error?"

"I don't know. I am not a computer whiz. I clicked cancel and it disappeared, the printer wont print." She says.

"Well please can you reboot again and when the error comes up read it out to me." I ask.

"Ummm. Well OK, but you will have to explain how to do that." the woman replied.

"Reboot the same as you did before, but when the error comes up, do nothing."

"Oh OK!" (I hear the Windows Jingle and the PC shuts down and restarts.)

5 mins later...
Silence
10 mins later...
Still silence
15 mins later...
I hear a cough

"Are you there?" I asked "Has the computer rebooted?"

"Oh yes, it rebooted about ten minutes ago."

"Why didn't you say?" I ask.

"You said to reboot and do nothing." She says.

I try not to chuckle at the stupidity or get annoyed but...

"Is the error on the screen?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Good, please read it out to me."

"It says 'Please insert the CD in to drive d:" she reads aloud. "What shall I do?"

"Well" I said "It is asking for the CD, maybe you should insert the CD again?"
 
"But it said to remove it, so I did" insists the woman.
 
"But clearly it is asking for it again, maybe it has to finish the installation."
 
"It said the installation had finished"
 
"I know but it's asking for the CD again, please put it back in the drive and let it finish and the error will go away."
 
"I don't like your tone young man." She says to me "I am not a technical person, I don't know these things."
 
"Well" I reply trying to keep my temper. "You managed to install the printer, now all you have to do is put the CD back in and complete it."
 
"Are you sure?"
 
"Yes"
 
"Well OK..." I hear the CD drive open and a lot of scuffling. "It's not doing anything."
 
"Have you clicked OK?" I ask.
 
"No I clicked Cancel, same as before."
 
I am trying not to bang my head against my desk by this point. Anyway, ten minutes later I have gotten the woman to reboot AGAIN, insert the CD and click OK.
 
"Now please remove the CD and try to print." I tell her.
 
"Are you sure? It wanted me to insert it again last time, shall I just leave it in?"
 
I gave in... "Yes" I said. "You're quite right, leave the CD in and never remove it. Now can you try to print."
 
"No, it's not printing, but doesn't the printer need to be on?"
 
"Yes" I say through gritted teeth "It does help."
Fortunately it did print after that, but how she got it installed in the first place, I will never know and that CD may be in the drive until the end of time!

1 comment:

Popular Posts